If you are reading this blog post today, then chances are you are looking for answers concerning weaning (starting your baby on solid foods). If that is the case ,then here is my personal experience .
After years of experience as a mom, I can proudly say, introducing your baby to solid foods is a fun and exciting journey . With that being said , you will have to know what you’re doing, you must be patient , be prepared to get disappointed and last but not least , don’t give up.
I believe the main reason most first time mom‘s hesitate when it comes to introducing solid food to their baby is Fear, Uncertainty and they kind of think too much about the whole thing .
Although your fear is totally understandable because we are talking about the life of your baby here, I want to assure you, it is not that complicated . All you need is to bare a few things in mind before starting the process .
- Starting Too Early : The first important point is to never start solids before 4 months old. This is because the baby‘s digestive system is not mature enough to cope with anything other than milk.
- Look out for Signs : Looking out for signs that your baby is developmentally ready for solid food is the second most important point to consider . All your answers to these questions should be yes before attempting to feed any solid food to your baby.
- Can your baby sit with little or no support ?
- Has he/she started putting things in his/her mouth ?
- Does he/she have a good head and neck control ?
- Does he /she watch you while you eat ?
Let us say you answered all the above with a Yes, I will still advice you talk to your Paediatrician before taking the step because this is just my personal experience that am sharing with you as a fellow mom .
Try one Food at a Time : So , now that you can actually start your baby on solid food , you should try one food at a time at the beginning . Not only will this help you pin point the foods your baby likes/dislikes , it will make it easy for you to see if he/she has any problems , example , food allergies. You should
- Try making your own Baby Food : As we all know, anything homemade taste much better, saves money and most importantly , contains much more nutrients . Check out my post on why you should start making your own baby food as of today , for more information .
- Having Patience : My last but certainly not the least is to be patient. When introducing your baby to solid foods, you are going to need to remain calm . This process is not a race , it is a fun process and you should be ready to embrace the good and the not soo good aspect of it . There will be days your baby will spit out the food you prepared for him/her . will make a mess with the food and get it all over him/her self, might not even open his/her mouth when food is being offered . But you know what, I find these moments to be the joyful moments . When this happens, all you have to do is to stop forcing the food on your baby , pick him/her up , bounce your baby around a bit, talk to him/her , give your baby a kiss and try the feeding again . So do not forget, patience patience patience and I wish you all the best with your baby.
If you have any questions , feel free to send me an email and I will get back to you.